Camping Equipment Reviews

Camping gear reviews and commentary on today's latest and greatest camping gear!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Klymit Static V2 Sleeping Pad Review


When I was younger, I didn't have a big bank account, so I was always on the hunt for those elusive products that were cheap but worked just as well as their brand name counterparts. What I typically ended up with was junk. As I've gotten older, I still hunt for those bargains, but thanks to the internet, I get the advantage of seeing what other people think too.

So when I was on the hunt to replace my aging, bulky Therm-a-Rest, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Klymit Static V2. Finally, a product that's highly functional and comes at a great price.

Lightweight
I'm not one of those ultralighters that are so concerned with every ounce. But weight is weight. The Static V2 weighs in at 16.33 oz. While the weight is slightly more than the 15 oz. Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm, it's not appreciably different.  And at 72" x 23" x 2.5", it's 3 inches wider than its counterpart.

R-Value (insulation)
The R-Value is only 1.3 as compared to the XTherm's 5.7, so you'll have to decide if that's important to you. I've got a nice sleeping bag with good under-body insulation, so the R-Value isn't as important to me.

Packed Size
The Static V2 comes in at a tiny 3" x 8", which fits into my pack so much better than my old Therm-a-Rest. Again, comparing it to the XTherm, it actually beats it by an inch on both dimensions.



Durability
The Static V2 has a top made of 30-Denier Ripstop polyester and a 75D coated bottom. While I have only had this sleeping pad one season, it has held up nicely.

Design
The pad features a v-chamber design, which limits air movement and heat loss. This also provides an ergonomic body map, optimized for performance and comfort. And it only takes 10-15 breaths to inflate. If you've ever forgotten to blow up your mattress until you retire from the campfire at the end of a long day, you can really appreciate this quickness. It took me considerably longer to inflate my old Therm-a-Rest.

Value
Now the best for last: the Static V2 comes in at a price of only $69.95 as compared to the XTherm's price of $199.95. I don't know about you, but I'll be bragging to my overspending camping buddies about my $130 savings for many years.



No comments:

Post a Comment